How to get to the Mara Triangle



The best routes depend on where you will be staying:

  • If you are staying at Mara Serena, the Sekenani route is fastest, but the road is very rough and corrugated from Narok to Sekenani gate.

  • If you are staying outside of the park (Angama, Kichwa Tembo, Bateleur Camp, Olonana Camp, Kilima Camp, Mara Siria, Mara West, Mpata), the Aitong route is fastest.

    The Mara Triangle headquarters is based at Iseiya. 


** entry points where you can pay your park fee

Vehicle Entry Fees




Vehicle fees are valid for 24 hours and permit unlimited exits and re-entries in the Mara Triangle.  Vehicles passing through the Mara Triangle to another destination are permitted two hours for transit before fees apply.  It will take a little over one hour to drive from Oloololo Gate to Purungat Bridge Gate on the main road, at 50 km/hr.


Game Drive Escorting/Guiding


Vehicle Tips:

Vehicle Type

What kind of vehicle is suited for driving to the Mara?

Any 4x4 vehicle is suited. Ensure that your vehicle has four-wheel drive.

If I have a camping vehicle, can I park and stay anywhere inside the park?

No. You need to park your camper at public/private campsites.


Where can we buy fuel?

Fuel can be purchased at camp/lodge fuel stations. Sometime there are shortages of fuel so you will need to ask the camps and lodges directly.

Driving Speed

What speed is allowed inside the park?

The speed limit is 50km/hr on graded roads and 30km/hr on other tracks. All the gates have the speed limit sign displayed.

What should I do when an animal is standing on the road?

You should stop and give the animal right of way. If you have to drive past animals, do so by keeping your distance and driving slow to cause minimal disturbance.


What is a 'High-Use Zones'?

"High-Use Zone" is an area frequently used by vehicles and tourists. If you are in an area such as this, there will be signs informing you. It is prohibited to off road in a High-Use Zone.

What is 'Low-Use Zones'?

"Low-Use Zone" is the exact opposite; an area rarely used by any vehicles or for game drives. You may off-road to approach big cats (Lion, Leopard, Cheetah) in theLow-Use Zones. [jacc/] Can I drive off-road when I have a confirmed big cat sighting?:: You are only allowed to do so in the Low-Use Zone. You can approach the cats within 25 meters. Once the viewing is done, return to the road using the route you came out from.

What are cut grass tracks?

These are tracks we create during the high season in areas with good animal viewing.

How do I know if the rangers have closed off some of the tracks?

The closed track is indicated by rocks lined up across the track or logs laid across the track.

Why do you close off tracks?

We close off some tracks in areas where soil degradation is severe. Closing off of the area will allow the grass to grow back. We also close tracks where we feel that there are sufficient existing tracks in an area.

 Park Boundary

What are the park boundaries?

Our park boundaries are indicated by: the Mara River, top contour of the Oloololo escarpment and the Tanzania border.

Are the park boundaries fenced?

No. Seasonal movement into surrounding dispersal areas is crucial for survival of the wildlife and none of the boundaries are fenced off.

How do I know I have crossed into Tanzania?

The Tanzania border is indicated by white beacons.