August 2019


There was a week of rain at the end of the month, sufficient to give the grass a green tinge, but not enough to add much water to the dams and watercourses. 


The Chief Executive and Finance Manager met with the Deloitte’s Audit Team, headed by our Audit Manager for this year on the 5th.  They were accompanied by two Tax experts who will appraise us of our tax liabilities, if any, this year.  


The Chief Executive and Mr D Aruasa met with Mr Adrian Gardiner on the 14th. Mr Gardiner is a well-known hotelier and conservationist in South Africa and it was interesting to share views on conservation, he was staying with Mr J Buffy as a guest of Wildeye.


Mr Richard Roberts died from brain cancer on the 18th, Richard was Willie’s son and as committed and passionate about the Mara as his father (Willie founded the Mara Conservancy and was a visionary conservationist.  Willie also died of cancer a short while ago).  There were few people who understood the complexities of dealing with communities, tourism partners and conservation as Richard did. He was one of the very few people who was genuinely interested in the long-term protection of the ecosystem and he will be very sorely missed. Our heartfelt commiserations to his young family, his mother, sister and other close relatives, as well as his numerous admirers and friends.


The Chief Park Warden, Serengeti and a team of high-level visitors went to Nigro-are on the 18thto meet with our Warden and his team.  They were very complimentary of the collaboration between ourselves and the Serengeti and said that it was appreciated, even at a high level in Government.


SafariLink’s new Dash 8 aircraft hit two wildebeest on landing at Kichwa Tembo airstrip on the 18th, the accident took one main wheel off the aircraft and it veered off the runway.  Fortunately no one was injured.  Both wildebeest were killed.


We held our Board meeting on the 23rd.  The Audited accounts for the period ending 30thJune were reviewed and approved, subject to clarification on a couple of issues.  The board also reviewed a draft agreement for Support Services to the Main Reserve, again this was approved, subject to minor changes and clarification. The Chief Executive the met with the Governor and County lawyer on the 29thand we should now have approval from both parties.


The County Finance Committee visited the Reserve on the 29thand 30th, coming to the Triangle on the 30th.  We met with them and briefed them on our activities, revenue collection system, checks and balances and then gave a brief proposal on possible changes to the fee structure.


We continue to have slightly more visitors than we had this time last year.  There is no doubt that the Chinese have become an important client base. Americans are still the most predominant, after Kenyans, but the Chinese now make up our second most important foreign clientele, followed by Indians.  


Crossings continue to be the most popular visitor activity and on one day 180 vehicles were sighted at a crossing – the most so far recorded.  These crossings come with a whole host of problems, they are mainly unmanageable and give the Mara a very bad name.  It is important that we find a better way to regulate crossings and we would propose that a vehicle levy is imposed and that only a certain number of tickets can be purchased on any one day.  


One of the revenue clerks tried to steal some money, he was found with US$ 3,700 in his house.  He was immediately dismissed and repaid a further amount that was owed. The temptation to steal cash is always so great that we are discouraging cash and promoting other payment methods like mpesa.


We sent several members of staff with chronic health problems to Columbia Health Care, a one stop facility that does a very thorough check-up.


We have had large herds of wildebeest in the Triangle for most of the month, mainly along the border and around the salt-lick. They then moved up along the escarpment and at one point we must have had 60% of the migration on us.


A young male elephant was found dead on the 21st, it was being fed on by lions.  We called in Dr Limo of the KWS/Sheldrick Wildlife Trust to conduct a post mortem,  as there was a suspicious wound near the spine.  Dr Limo found a whole spear in the animal.  Whoever speared the animal must have been above it, probably on the escarpment or overlooking a deep ravine.  The power that must have been used to drive the whole spear into its body would have been immense.  The spear was a typical wa Kuria spear, as used in killing hippo.  A few months ago we found an elephant that had been killed and butchered for meat in the Lemai Wedge, they had left the ivory.  Was this a similar killing?

On the same day Dr Limo removed another spear – a short throwing iron - from a giraffe on the escarpment near Oloololo Gate.


Our two cheetah are doing well, and have taken up residence near Lemai in Tanzania.  We continue to monitor them daily, at one point they were suffering from mange, the male more so than the female.  We treated them with ivermectin, given orally in meat, and they seem to have fully recovered.  They are hunting and made at least five known kills during the month, all wildebeest calves – the male seems to do most of the hunting.  We will continue to intensively monitor them for another month if we can.


A total of 14 people were arrested during the month – a very low number of arrests for this time of year and a reflection on how difficult they are to catch.  We recovered 1,199 snares, rescued 36 wildebeest and one topi, found nine wildebeest, three zebra and an oribi dead in snares and found where 37 wildebeest, three zebra and two topi had been butchered.


A total of 21 snares were recovered in the Lemai Wedge on the 1st, one wildebeest was found dead in a snare. That evening the Nigro-are rangers set up an ambush and managed to arrest one, of four people who came down to hunt on the Masanga Route.


A total of 76 snares were collected along the escarpment and around Kasarani in the Lemai Wedge on the 2nd, two wildebeest were found dead in the snares.


Our patrols collected a total of 178 snares between the 3rdand 8thAugust, nearly all of them within easy hunting distance of the Serengeti boundary.  Five wildebeest were found dead in snares, as was one impala.  Four wildebeest were rescued and four had been butchered.  During this period our rangers saw ten poachers in two separate incidents, on both occasions the poachers managed to escape.


A total of 32 snares were collected on the 9th, 21 of them near Nyakita Pembe in the Lemai Wedge.  The Iseiya rangers set up ambush and at midnight managed to arrest two people as they came in to check on the snares, the two were part of a larger group of 11, the rest escaped.


A total of 86 snares were collected on the 10thand 11th, mostly along the escarpment.  Two wildebeest were rescued and two had been butchered. The next day, the 12th, 55 more snares were recovered and two wildebeest recovered.  The Nigro-are rangers joined forces with their TANAPA counterparts on the 13thand managed to arrest one person at mid-day, as he and his companion came in to check on the snares that had been recovered the previous day.


The Nigro-are rangers managed to arrest two people on the night of the 15thnear Lemai.  They saw four people approach, using the Flir Camera, two managed to escape.  One of those arrested had worked in the Lemai ranger station and had been caught recycling snares that had been collected!  He had been jailed for six months and h was recently released. The patrol teams managed to collect 28 snares that day, three wildebeest were rescued and one had been butchered.


The rangers continued to collect snares and recovered 204 between the 16thand 19th, all within walking distance of the escarpment and Serengeti boundary.  A total of six wildebeest were rescued, seven had been butchered.  One zebra was found dead and another butchered.  The rangers managed to see at least 11 people on different occasions.


Our teams continued to collect snares on a daily basis, as did the de-snaring teams working in the Lemai Wedge.  We collected 185 on the 20thand 21st, 11 wildebeest were rescued, as was one topi.  One oribi was dead in a snare and one zebra butchered.  The teams crossed the river and set up an ambush but it would appear that the staff in some of the camps had developed a signaling system to alert the poachers of ranger activity – our rangers observed flashing torches from camps and responding torches from the poachers – no one came in.


One person, of five,  was arrested during a late patrol on the 22ndduring a late patrol.  The poachers are now sending in children to set the snares, as they know they won’t be arrested. The adults then come in later, two snares were recovered.  The following day a total of 85 snares were collected. Eight wildebeest were rescued and seven had been butchered.  That night one person was arrested at 4.30 am.


Twenty two snares were collected on the 24th, four wildebeest were rescued and was dead in a snare.  That day the Kilo 2 rangers arrested one person for digging a hole along the escarpment – the story of hidden treasure persists!


One person was arrested during a late patrol on the 25thnear Lugga ya Ngiri in the Lemai Wedge, he was in a group of six who were coming in to check snares.  A total of 55 snares were collected that day.  


Our community scouts arrested one person along the escarpment on the 26th– he acted simple but they, and the rangers, were certain that he was a poacher who had got separated from his companions and was lost.  Our cheetah monitoring vehicle recovered 12 snares and rescued one wildebeest.  The following day the cheetah monitors found and recovered another 18 snares and the Nigro-are rangers found a further 17.


A total of 52 snares were recovered by both patrol teams on the 28th, two topi had been butchered.  That night we had a joint patrol across the river around Binamu and the rangers managed to arrest three people, they had already killed four wildebeest and one zebra with machetes when apprehended. 


A total 71 snares were recovered on the 29thand 30th, 1 wildebeest was rescued.  


Revenue and Accounts

Deloittes presented our Annual Audit to the Board and these were the key points:


·            The Partner had reviewed the accounts;

·            The accounts were unqualified;

o  “the accompanying financial statements give a true and fair view of the financial position of the Company as at 30 June 2019 and if its financial performance and cash flows for the year ended in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) and the requirements of the Kenyan Companies Act, 2015”;

·            Profit before taxation was Ksh 29,930,993;

·            Taxation was Ksh 493,210;

·            Total income increased from Ksh 262,818,373 in 2018 to Ksh 307,256,380;

·            Expenditure increased from 251,867,863 in 2018 to Ksh 277,335,387;

·            Balloon revenue from Governors Balloons and an increase in the number of visitors contributed to most of the increase in revenue;

·            Staff and administration accounted for most of the increase in expenditure;

·            Cash balances stood at Ksh 67,646,482;

·            The introduction of a new international accounting standards – IFRS 9 and IFRS 15 were reported;

  •  IFRS 9 did not result in any adjustment to the accounts;

  •  IFRS 15 deals with revenue from Contracts and Customers and requires that revenue is only recognised when the service has been satisfied. This meant that Float payments made in advance had to be reported as deferred revenue and this amounted Ksh 11,473,910 in the opening balances;

·            The tax credit had been fully utilised and the Mara Conservancy was now in a taxable situation.  

Repairs and maintenance

We purchased office equipment, including chairs, desks and filing cabinets. 


The repeater’s mother board burnt out and will have to be replaced – we are currently using a Seiya repeater, until the other one is repaired.


We continued to do road repairs wherever necessary, and the grader touched up one or two places.


We have started on a new road between Naisukut and the lower Road to Little Governors, this is aimed at reducing the considerable environmental damage caused by vehicles when looking for rhino in the rains.


The work on the Immigration post is progressing very well, with the walls up and work has started on the roof.


We have moved the generator into a new room at the Purungat Gate, we have also installed piping to the staff compound and the water tank at the gate. We should complete installing two water tanks on a three meter stand for the main compound in early September.  We intend to charge Ksh 1 per litre for the water to help cover fuel and maintenance.


We have ordered a Toyota Land Cruiser to replace one of our Land Rovers, it should be ready for collection in September.  We also have quotations for a new grader and a tipper truck.

Report on focus for August

Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 08.37.21.png

Focus for September 2019 

·            Complete new road;

·            Collect new Land Cruiser;

·            Possibly collect new grader and sell our old one; 

·            Complete plumbing at Purungat;

·            Continue with Immigration post;

·            Possibly start on a second Immigration Post on the eastern side of the Mara;

·            Finalise contract for support to the Main Reserve;

·            Continue tracking cheetah;  and

·            Possibly survey Reserve boundary.

video Block
Double-click here to add a video by URL or embed code. Learn more
video Block
Double-click here to add a video by URL or embed code. Learn more

March 2019


We had a few days of rain from the 2nd, it was then dry for most of March, with two days of rain at the very end.  We managed to partly burn one block along the escarpment just before the rain at the end of the month.


The Chief Executive met with a team from the Mara Elephant Project (MEP) and Vulcan, headed by their Principal Business Development Manager Ted Schmitt,  on the 5th.  Vulcan are working with MEP on an integrated information and monitoring system for patrols and wildlife called Earth Ranger.  We would like to  link into the system, our current tracking system leaves a lot to be desired, and a first step will be to purchase In Reach GPS systems that download tracks and points of interest onto satellite.  A real weakness in our current system is that it relies on phone or our radio coverage. 


Instructors from the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) Training School at Manyani paid a visit on the 8th to see how the last trainees were doing.  On the same day all the firearms were inspected by the Police Operations Commander in the Mara for their annual renewal.


The Chairman visited the Triangle on a private visit from the 12th to 15th and the Chief Executive took a week off from the 16th.


E Molai and D Aruasa attended a training course for SMART and then D Aruasa attended a course on investments for the pension scheme.


Three of our staff attended a short course on leadership provided by WWF and the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS).


Stratton Hatfield placed a collar on a young martial eagle. 


In February we though that the Mara River could not get lower, it did and by the end of March it had virtually stopped flowing.  We had a large number of fish die opposite the Kichwa airstrip.  This seemed different from the other die-offs that we have witnessed in that it did not seem to be associated with a surge of water.



A hyena from the North clan was seen with a wire snare around its neck on the 5th, this is the second hyena from the same clan in a month. 


The rangers found an old elephant carcass near Watu Kumi in the Lemai Wedge on the 10th, the tusks were recovered and handed over to TANAPA.


Three lion cubs were killed near Oloololo, it would appear that they were attacked by a group of lions that came across from Musiara.



Fifteen poachers were arrested during the month, three of them in the Triangle.  At least six hippo are known to have been killed, as was one bushbuck and a zebra.


The Nigro-are rangers arrested one person after an all-night ambush on the 3rd, he was alone at 6.00 am near Lempise and said that he was cutting grass.


One person was arrested on the 11th at Serengeti Ndogo, he was part of a group of eight people who had killed a bushbuck.


There were several reports of hippo being speared and butchered near Lemai, four had been killed by the 11th, three of them just outside the Serengeti.  A fifth hippo was killed and butchered in the Lemai Wedge – downstream from the Nigro-are swamp.


The Nigro-are team arrested seven people on the 15th, three during the day as they entered the Lemai Wedge along the escarpment, and another four when they joined TANAPA rangers and recruits on an ambush that night.  The four were part of a group of six who were on their way to hunt and were coming down the Masanga poachers’ route.


Three days later the Nigro-are rangers caught one more person on the Kigonga route in daylight. 


The Ol Kurruk rangers reported a zebra that had been speared on the escarpment, they set an ambush bit no one came. 


One more person was arrested whilst hunting gazelle with torches on the night of the 24th, three people escaped.


A routine patrol on the 27th, by the Oloololo/Little Governors teams, along the river came across a freshly butchered hippo just downstream from what used to be River Camp.  The rangers called for back-up but they were heard and the poachers escaped across the river.  That afternoon four people walked into a team ambushing the poachers’ camp, they all escaped.  That night our teams set up an ambush and watched three people approach in the Flir camera.  They managed to arrest all three and were told that there were two others – the rangers never saw the others.  They had killed the hippo two days previously, had butchered it and were waiting for the meat to dry before carrying it out.  One of the three poachers had been arrested twice before, once inside the Triangle, along the river.  Her had also been arrested for cattle theft.


One person was arrested along the escarpment on the 30th by the Nigro-are rangers, he said that he was cutting grass and was armed with a machete.


Revenue and Accounts

February revenue was slightly down on January but well above February 2018.  It would appear that that Dusit 2 attacks in Nairobi had little, or no, impact on Mara visitors, though it has impacted tourism at the coast.  We are now into low season and will expect expenditure to exceed revenue for the coming three months, fortunately we have built up adequate reserves.


We had one incident in which a revenue clerk tried to utilize an unused voucher on a ticket and pocket the cash paid by another operator.  It would appear that the supervisor at Oloololo was in on the deal and the issue is being dealt with by KAPS.

Repairs and maintenance

We removed the thatch from the KAPS office at Purungat and hopefully bat-proofed the office.  We also painted the office.


We received three new Suzuki Maruti jeeps.


We have installed a new, 5,000 litre petrol tank and pump at the office – it took over two weeks to dig the hole through solid rock.  This now means that we don’t have to rely on other sources of fuel for our Suzukis.


The grader transmission was overhauled and installed.  It was then checked and passed by the agents.  We have done a little work with it to check it.  A number of hose and hydraulic pipes are leaking and they will be replaced in readiness for the next season starting June.


We purchased and installed new, adjustable, shelving for the store.  We are trying to make sure that all the items are properly itemised and recorded.  


We constructed a new room at the Kilo 2 ranger post and replaced the wooden benches with concrete ones.


We completed the Administrator’s house and it should be habitable in early April.  We strengthened the walls, put on a new roof and ceiling and tiled the bathroom, kitchen and floors.


We resurfaced large sections of the road from Nigro-are.


Internet Solutions (IS) installed a new wifi system for us in the Mara to replace the Safaricom system that we have been using.  It is free of charge, compensation for a Seiya mast that they are using near Talek.


Kijito sent down their technician to service and repair two windmills, all the worn out parts have now been replaced.

Report on focus for March

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 15.21.49.png

Focus for April 2019

·             Attend Serengeti/Mara meeting from the 26-28th ;

·             Sell Suzukis;

·             Work with Angama on toilet facilities at Hippo Pools;

·             Build visitor toilet at Kilo 2;

·             Plan on dam at Kerengani;

·             Move stores and ensure all their records are correct;

·             Develop  Annual Work Plan and budget;  and

·             Survey Reserve boundary.

February 2019


By the middle of the month the Mara River was lower than it has ever been – each year for the past several years we have said the same.  This year it is definitely the case, not only is there virtually no flow, the water is a dark green and heavily polluted with organic matter, largely hippo faeces.  Some intermittent rain from the 18thimproved the situation very slightly. 


We held a Board meeting on the 8th.  The Board approved looking for new office space in the Lavington area and we looked at offices belonging to Mr Aasif Karim, excellent space but on the expensive side.  The offices would only be affordable if we get the contract for the main Reserve. The Board has asked management to provide a proposal on leasing out three seasonal campsites for 2020.  We are considering the three sites in the western corner of the Triangle and they would only be available between mid-June to the beginning of November.


Angama have very kindly offered to improve and manage our facilities at the hippo pool and we will work with them on a design that fits in with the environment. Angama, through their Trust, are great supporters and they already fund our rhino monitoring team and pay compensation for livestock killed by predators.


A team from the Kenya Forest Service (KFS) visited Oloololo Gate on the 22nd, to see our housing, solar system and general care of the establishment.  


Mr Eric Becker visited us from the 24thto 26thand managed to repair one of our Flircameras, he took the other one for repair.  He has said that Flirand WWF will try and establish a maintenance system in Kenya, so that we are not so reliant on his expertise.


The Chief Executive met with Governor Tunai on the 9thand again  on the 23rd, to discuss progress on management of the Main Reserve.  We agreed that there was a need to capitalise on a short window of opportunity to start during the low season.  In the meantime the County have offered a short-term consultancy for the Chief Executive to provide management advice on management.


We asked Dr Amanda Subalusky and Chris Dutton to give us an assessment of the low river flows and possible consequences.  The very kindly wrote a brief report and the main points of interest included:

·       River flows peak in December and again in April/May, corresponding with the main rainfall seasons;

·       Lowest flows are in February, before the onset of the long rains;

·       Mean flows at Mara Bridge (Purungat) are 12.5 m3/second, dropping to below 1 m3/second in February;

·       Chris and Amanda have not conducted their research long enough to comment on the current flows within a historical context.  However, other researchers have compiled data going back to the 60s and 70s;

·       A paper by Gereta et al(2009) reported on data collected from the Mara River in Tanzania and estimated that flows in drought periods had declined by 68% since 1972 (I would pose that there has been a further, and significant decline, since 2009);

·       Chris and Amanda reported that low flows can have a very pronounced ecological effect and that hippo can contribute 8,500 kg (dry mass) of organic matter to the river daily;

·       The latest hippo count (2019) saw 2,757 hippo between the upper Mara Bridge and Purungat – up from 1,924 counted in the Reserve by Kanga et alin 2006; 

·       During normal flows this organic matter is distributed throughout the river, but during low flows this matter is deposited on the river bottom, where it slowly decomposes;

·       This process of decomposition results in declines in dissolved oxygen and increases in compounds like ammonium and hydrogen sulfide – both which can be lethal to aquatic insects and fish;

·       The Mara River had less than 2 mg/liter of dissolved Oxygen from 27thJanuary 2019 until the rains in mid-February;

·       Any flushing out of the hippo pools from heavy rain or a flash flood could result in a massive fish die-off, as has happened in the recent past;

·       Insect taxa that are indicative of a healthy river system (mayflies, stoneflies and caddisflies) are replaced by black flies;

·       It is difficult to determine the decline in insect taxa on riparian spiders, lizards birds and bats - it may be fairly significant;

·       We are yet to determine the effects of poor water quality on the human and wildlife populations, as outbreaks of water-borne diseases become more common under these conditions;

·       Hydrological modeling show that if we were to experience a severe drought such as in 1949-52 and again in 1972-3 that the river would dry up for up to two months; this could potentially lead to an 80% decline in the wildebeest population (I would question the 80% decline in the wildebeest population, they don’t rely on the river until after June each year and flows have always been fairly strong at that time.  However, it may have a major impact on other wildlife species such as elephant);

·       There are still important questions to be answered and we hope that dedicated researchers like Chris and Amanda will be around to work on them.


It should be noted that this year, and the past few years for that matter, have not been drought  years and yet the river flows continue to decline in the January to March period.  



A lion cub died on the 10th, it was seen alone two days before, fed one day but died the next.  There seems to be at least three prides of lions with young cubs at the moment – not a great time for them, as food is scarce.


A young elephant had a snare removed from its trunk on 12th, the snare had virtually cut through the trunk.  


A giraffe ran into a wire fence near Kawai, on the escarpment, and broke a front leg. There was no chance of recovery and the animal was euthanised on the 21st.  Fencing throughout the Mara region is becoming a major problem for wildlife, it has cut off most of the migration routes and dispersal areas for the Loita migration – not to mention the very large number of animals – giraffe, zebra and wildebeest that are killed in these fences.


The two cheetah cubs are almost ready for release and we are looking for collars for them so that we can track them in the first few months.


Eighteen poachers were arrested and 93 wire snares were recovered in February.  As usual at this time of year the poachers are focusing on hippo – the Nigro-are rangers estimated that six had been killed along the river in Tanzania during the month – warthog and impala or Thompson’s gazelle.


The Nigro-are rangers arrested four people during a late patrol along the escarpment in the Lemai Wedge.  Two people escaped, they were all on their way to hunt when caught.  Two wire snares were recovered, as were five machetes.  On the same day, the Oloololo team joined up with the Anne Kent-Taylor team and Oloisukut rangers and recovered 80 snares opposite Cheetah Camp on Mara North.  Unfortunately the Oloisukut rangers had chased the poachers earlier. However,  the 80 snares were in camp, together with three spears and locally fabricated back-packs.  There was an impala and a warthog carcass in camp.


One of our rangers Kironkai was injured when chasing poachers on the night of  the 5th.  He tripped in front of one of our vehicles and was hit by the vehicle.  The poacher was arrested and the ranger taken to Kisii for medical attention.  His collar bone was broken, his hip was dislocated and he had cuts on his face.  He was released from hospital after a few days.


A joint patrol between Nigro-are and TANAPA set an ambush near the river at Serengeti Ndogo on the 10thand managed to arrest six men who were carrying hippo meat.  They were part of a large gang of people, estimated at 15 men and some women who had butchered a hippo.  The rangers also caught four of the women carrying meat.  We heard that another hippo that had been killed near the Island close to the VIP camp sold for Tsh 1,050,000 (approximately Ksh 45,000 at Tsh 23.19:1Ksh).  No wonder there are virtually no hippo downstream from Kogatende.


One person was arrested during an ambush near Tabora B in the Northern Serengeti on the night of the 11th, he and two others were on their way to camp near Nzonzo and were carrying enough food for several days.  The following night one more person was arrested at 11.00 pm near Sampura in the Lemai Wedge, he was part of a group who were on their way to hunt gazelle or impala with dogs and torches.  There was torch activity near Nyanguki and the rangers moved position and stayed until morning but the poachers had obviously seen the activity when the one person was arrested and left.  


Four snares were recovered below Kirindon on the 19thand one butchered hippo carcass was found near the old Saiyari camp in the northern Serengeti on the 23rd. 


Warden W Nailenya had four cattle stolen from his home on the 21st.  A combined team from the paramilitary police, our rangers and the community followed the tracks and managed to recover the cattle from the home of a notorious thief near Soit.  The thief escaped but the team found four other cattle that had been stolen from a member of the community in January, more cattle that may have been stolen and a solar panel that had been stolen last year.


Seven wire snares were recovered near Lempise by the Nigro-are rangers on the 28th.  That night our rangers joined forces with their TANAPA counterparts and managed to arrest six people from two different groups hunting near Serengeti Ndogo. They arrested two, of three people, in the first instance soon after 8.00 pm and then later managed to arrest four people from a group of six.  The poachers were hunting gazelle with dogs and torches.

Revenue and Accounts

We continue to collect more than last year, January was up by 35% on the same month last year.  All the indications are for an excellent year, February alternated between being full and quite empty and we were certainly helped by the Chinese New Year, and a number of tourists from Europe and the United States. 

Repairs and maintenance

The grader transmission is still in Nairobi, we hope that it will be ready in early March.  


Our tractor hitch required repair and we used the opportunity to cut some of the grass tracks.


We have ordered shelving for the new store and it should be ready for collection in early March.


We continued with road repairs and did a lot of work on the main road to Oloololo gate and re-surfaced the road to the Serena water pump.


The new Suzuki Marutis were delivered at the end of the month and will be collected in early March. 

Report on focus for February

Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 12.38.45.png

Focus for March 2019 

·      Bat proof the KAPS office at Purungat;

·      Install new shelving in the store;

·      Start on a new house at Kilo 2;

·      Complete Administrator’s house;

·      Possibly start on new staff housing at Iseiya;

·      Work with Angama on facilities at the hippo pool;

·      Sell Suzukis;  and

·      Survey Reserve boundary.